Friday, January 23, 2009

Zeitgeist

I spent a few days at my friend's cabin on an island just northwest of the city. I always love going up there, even in the middle of winter. Completely wired for internet, but my cell phone won't work. Rustic and functional. She just got a compost toilet which is a veritable luxury when compared to the pit toilet that used to be the only option. And wasn't something I was particularly looking forward to having to use in 36 degree weather.

We talked a lot about the economy. But in a way that I'm not particularly worried about. Yes, it is going to be tough and really tough for those who already had it rough before layoffs, cutbacks, and credit crises. But overall, I have believed since the crisis crested in September '08 that this recession is going to be good for the country. My friend lives very frugally, but well and in some cases—depending how you look at it—luxuriously (on a beautiful island overlooking your own beach? Who cares about hot water!) I've said this before I'm sure, I'm not a minimalist. No one who has ever seen my shoe collection could believe that. But that's when things are good. Not working and paring down what I want versus what I need (and good body wash falls into the what-I-need category still). Being cost conscious is a new interesting trend. What I sincerely hope is that people will not just go for the cheapest, but start prioritizing quality and worthiness. I'm looking to go back into travel tech, which is something I think is invaluable to life. Travel brings experiences, exposure, interests. I hope that even though it's terribly tough to make ends meet for the next 18 or so months, folks won't forsake experiences entirely.

While I was there I finally saw the Zeitgeist movie. Like most conspiracy theory/docudramas, it raises some interesting thoughts, but completely blows it in others; jumping to conclusions without adequate backing, not sourcing information correctly, etc. It's very easy to spot no matter what the goal is (actually reminds me of the amount of time/thought--NOT--that's put into the News Busters blog). Still, the first section on religion was fairly spot on. And Building 7 is very weird. As for FDR provoking Japan into Pearl Harbor to launch us into WWII … duh. Pretty much nothing I haven't heard from my fiancĂ©'s conspiracy theorist father, particularly about the international banking cabal.

I simply love conspiracy theories. I really do. I have one that the reason for the piss poor response to Hurricane Katrina was that the government was trying to see if they could impose martial law, as a test to determine how easy or difficult it would be after a disaster. Given how 9/11 was handled, I was shocked that they didn't try to declare it in New York. Maybe they just didn't think of it in time. But my whack job theory is that they intended to try in New Orleans but failed because of the sheer amount of press coverage and national attention. As for international banking/financier cabals, I totally believe in that. I just don't always believe they're in the wrong. As long as there are people who want to be sheep, there will be people who feel the need to herd them. I'm a big Kennedy assassination conspiracy theorist and am starting to have questions about some aspects of 9/11.

But the people who produce the conspiracy theories always screw it up by including something so easily caught out that the entire point of what they're trying to do falls apart. One false fact can unravel the best of arguments. Just ask Dan Rather.

Happy anniversary! Obama reverses the international gag rule regarding abortions. Not surprising of course, but nice to see happen so quickly. You know, I could have much more productive fiscal conversations with conservatives if they would drop all the dictatorial social issues. I'm sure they would say the same thing about me, but what I've always said about the left vs. right social issues: my side takes nothing away from them; theirs takes something away from me. Therefore, my side should win. And with this economic crisis, I'm hoping people consider restricting individual rights is lower on the priority than preventing their own foreclosure. But to be honest, what Obama said back during the primaries is true. When times are tough, people do get insular and cling to what is familiar.

No comments: