Friday, January 1, 2010

Food Glorious Food!

My sister finally put the family cookbook online and now I have added responsibilities (self-imposed) to add to it. So here's a food post because one should really kick off the new year with food and spirits. The spirits were well taken care of last night, and now it's on to the food.

One of my favorite comfort foods also happens to be a New Year's Day tradition. Pork and black eyed peas. You can go to the family cookbook blog for the details, but in short:

  1. Pan-fried pork chops (recipe of your choice, I'm experimenting with home-made onion soup type mix right now but don't have it perfected for a recipe yet)
  2. Hoppin' John
  3. Corn bread

This originally was a Jewish tradition (and when I say originally, I mean Old Testament originally) that somehow got adapted by the American South. I tip my hat to both cultures of ultimate comfort food. What I have to wonder is if this was also designed because it truly is the perfect hangover food. Mathew and Reijo can attest.

No comments: