Monday, September 8, 2008

Think Before You Speak

GRRR! ARRRGGH!

I just watched Chris Matthews tear apart a radio talk show host for not knowing what he was talking about. Not an hour later I’m in a debate with someone on an entirely different subject who was taking an issue where he didn’t even know the definition of it.

Nothing drives me crazier than people who do that! C’mon folks, say you don’t know something and after you do a little research (like Wikipedia or Google) you’ll come back with your opinion.

This—in my opinion—is the single biggest cause of the piss-poor state of public discourse in this country. This need we all have, for some weird reason, to have a position on something whether we know what we’re talking about or not. This compulsion we seem to have that we can know a little and say a lot. Just watch The Daily Show asking small-town people about small-town values. These people have no idea what they’re talking about. But they’re voting based on what they’re saying. That’s terrifying.

Another example, from earlier this morning (yeah, three instances in one day!), was a coffee shop conversation I had with a woman about Ayn Rand. I overheard her criticizing her writing but what she really hated about Rand was her philosophy. So debate me her philosophy (which we did) but what’s that got to do with her writing style? Even when this woman would attempt to make a criticism about the actual writing style, she couldn’t get half a sentence through without resorting to what Rand was saying rather than how she said it.

Then it was patently obvious that she’d only read an article about Ayn Rand, not any of her books, since she didn’t know who Gayle Wynand was. I don't care if you don't know who Gayle Wynand is. I care only if you want to engage in a debate about Ayn Rand with me. 'Cause believe me, I know who he is.

My point being, ask questions and think before you speak. If it’s an obvious question (like how many senate seats each state has*) I will make fun of you. But I will still give you an answer. Or just wait until you get the answer before committing an opinion. There is nothing wrong, nothing embarrassing, nothing demeaning about saying “You know, I don’t know enough about that. Let me look it up and I’ll get back to you.” Or, “You know, can you tell me more about that? ‘Cause I don’t know enough to have an opinion.” Or even, “You know, I don’t know anything about it and I don’t care. Here’s another topic of conversation.” Or if you make a mistake (as I do, as does everyone), simply say something like, “Really? I thought I knew more about that. Thanks for the new information.”

I don’t remember what the particular subject was, but it was when I was in junior high and I pretended to know something about some band or book or topic or whatever and was found out in about two sentences flat. I don’t think I was ever more embarrassed. I don’t think I ever pretended to know about something I didn’t know anything about again.

*Yes Anonymous, that one’s a zing at you ;-)

No comments: